How Stress Affects the Skin: Symptoms and Recovery
Anxiety, insomnia, arrhythmia, and the inability to relax—these are all signs of stress. Stress can arise from various reasons, such as moving, work conflicts, or arguments with a loved one. Nervous tension impacts one’s quality of life, health, and appearance.
Effects of stress on the skin:
- Blood circulation deteriorates, resulting in an unhealthy-looking complexion.
- Sensitivity increases, causing the skin to react strongly to cold, sun rays, and friction from clothing.
- Excessive sebum production leads to constant skin surface shine. This issue can be temporarily mitigated.
- Acne breakouts, swelling, and inflammation occur due to immune system dysfunction, cortisol, and adrenaline production.
- Fine wrinkles develop, gradually becoming deeper, and the skin loses its radiance.
- The skin appears neglected and dehydrated.
During periods of stress, the skin visibly ages, chronic conditions worsen, and sexual desire diminishes. The longer this state persists, the more challenging it becomes to recover from its consequences. Initially, red spots may appear, along with heightened dryness, even with regular skincare. Subsequently, swelling occurs, the complexion takes on an earthy hue, and wrinkles become more pronounced. It is crucial to recognize these signs in time, alleviate stress, and prioritize skincare.
Methods to restore the skin after experiencing stress:
- Engage in daily walks in park areas away from roads with heavy dust and exhaust fumes. Aim for at least 7 hours of sleep per day.
- Engage in activities that bring you joy. Hobbies help distract from negative thoughts and facilitate relaxation. Spend time with people you feel affectionate towards. Avoid consuming unhealthy food, smoking, and excessive alcohol. Reduce caffeine intake.
- Indulge in an evening massage using oils.
- Avoid using exfoliating scrubs to prevent further damage to the skin’s surface.
- Purchase creams and masks containing soothing ingredients and antioxidants. Maintain consistent hydration of the skin during times of stress and throughout the recovery period.
Natural remedies, such as masks made from organic ingredients, can yield beneficial results. To restore a healthy skin tone and reduce wrinkles after experiencing stress, apply a mask every three days consisting of grated cucumber mixed with honey. Once a week, apply a mask composed of egg yolk, kefir, and a few drops of vegetable oil to your face.