How to Prevent Premature Graying of Hair: 6 Tips from Trichologists
Graying hair is a problem that will eventually affect everyone. There is a difference between physiological (natural) and premature graying. The latter may be the result of adverse environmental influences, one’s own lifestyle or heredity. To prevent graying of your hair, you should take care of yourself: stick to a balanced diet, have enough physical activity and protect your hair from solar radiation.
Graying of hair: can we influence this process?
There are two types of graying:
- Physiological graying, which occurs naturally. Starting from the age of 30, the first gray hair may begin to appear, for example, on the temples.
- Premature graying of hair. Gray hair can appear as early as in one’s 20s. This may be due to both genes and a disease, so it’s worth consulting a doctor about this issue.
Everyone knows that your hair can turn gray from stress. When a person is exposed to nervous tension for a long time, their body begins to age faster. Therefore, graying of hair due to stress can happen very quickly and unexpectedly, in some cases in a matter of days.
6 factors that slow down the graying of hair. What do trichologists advise?
Many people are wondering how to delay the graying of hair. To make it possible, follow these 6 tips by trichologists.
- No stress. You can use various techniques that reduce stress levels — for example, keep a diary or even resort to psychotherapy.
- Balanced diet. It’s advisable to eat a lot of fruits, vegetables and products rich in iron and group B vitamins. They nourish and strengthen the hair as well as slow down its discoloration.
- Physical activity. It helps the body to rejuvenate and function better.
- Lack of stimulants. Cigarettes, alcohol and other stimulants significantly weaken the body and hence the hair, which begins to turn gray much earlier.
- Sun protection. The hair needs to be protected from UV radiation. How to do it? All you need is a hat and cosmetics with UV filters.
- Hair care. Choose the right shampoo to delay the appearance of discolored hair. Also, use care cosmetics that repair damaged hair and deeply moisturize it. Look for cosmetics with antioxidants, such as vitamin E or C.
Diet against graying hair. Which products to include in your daily menu?
It makes sense to add to your daily menu products that contain omega-3 fatty acids. In addition, make sure that your food contains iron. There is a lot of it in the liver, eggs, beets, dried apricots, nuts, wholemeal bread and pumpkin seeds. Plus, it’s good to eat products that contain antioxidants: strawberries, blackberries, currants and chokeberries. The most important thing is that your diet should be varied and should include a lot of fruits and vegetables.
Natural oils and hair masks. Which ingredients help prevent graying of hair?
Hair products should contain ingredients that repair damaged hair, such as keratin. Besides, it’s worth looking for ingredients that moisturize the hair and scalp. These include glycerin, lecithin, sorbitol and hyaluronic acid. It’s great if cosmetics contain natural oils that nourish the hair. These include argan oil, olive oil and linseed oil.
Opt for masks from the anti-aging category. They have a special composition that prevents premature graying. When using such products, consider massaging your scalp so that the nutrients are well absorbed and work effectively.