How to Wash Your Beard Properly
A man tends to think about proper beard care when certain problems arise: dandruff or itching appears, bald spots form, the color of the villi changes in some places or the tips start to split. If you initially washed your beard correctly as well as moisturized and strengthened the vegetation you’d have been able to avoid such troubles.
How to wash your beard properly:
- Avoid using regular soap or shampoo on your beard hair. Instead, get a special product designed to take care of your facial hair. Such products don’t dry out your skin- they moisturize it. They soften the beard as well as allow for styling and combing.
- Moisten the hairy part of your face as well as the skin under it with warm water. It’s inefficient to use cold water — otherwise, dandruff will appear and the structure of the villi will change (they will become rigid).
- Apply beard cleanser to the palm of your hand and rub it between your palms. Apply it on the root zone on both sides and distribute it throughout with your fingers. Massage the bristles for 2-3 minutes, beating the foam to clean the hairs at the roots. If the vegetation is long, it’s not necessary to wash the tips twice per day. However, it is enough to just rinse them.
- Wash off the foam with water. Apply a mask or beard balm of the same type as your washing product. Spread it over the entire length of the beard and leave it for 2 minutes. Rinse again.
- Dry the beard with a towel without twisting the hair. Apply a drop of oil to the palm of your hand and smear the skin at the roots with your fingers by evenly distributing the product. This procedure should be done in the evening 2-3 times per week.
- Leave the beard until it dries completely. Comb it with a brush made of natural material, such as wood or bone. In extreme cases, you can use a plastic comb — but you should avoid metal ones. The metal reacts with moisture and washing products. It oxidizes and negatively affects the villi.
It’s necessary to wash the beard in the morning and in the evening on a daily basis. You can do it after brushing your teeth — or, you may combine both procedures. Alternatively, you can do it while taking a shower. Dry your beard with a hair dryer, but only in extreme cases. The flow of hot air dries the villi too much, which makes them brittle and splits them.
Which products are recommended in order to take care of your beard:
- Antibacterial gel or foam for washing
- Balsam or conditioner
- Moisturizing skin lotion without alcohol
- Oil or a mixture of oils
- Styling lotion or styling spray if the hairs are long and unruly
The following items will come in handy: a comb, a brush, scissors to give the beard a beautiful shape and a safety razor to shave off excess vegetation.